Howie Leess

I played for a number of years with Howie, first for the Messengers,
then Neshoma, and for Satmar bandleader  Ben Zion Moshe Rosenberg as
well as the odd Klezmer date.
Howie and I played all over New York, as well as a number of "out-of
town" gigs, where he was a kind and delightful traveling companion.
While he was well known and acclaimed for his rhythmic saxophone
accompaniments, he was an excellent harmony section player, who could
play any chair in a horn section with a sensitive ear and smooth,
seamless harmonies. From about 1983 until 1988, I probably did forty to
fifty gigs a year with him. In all that time, an unkind word never
crossed his lips. He was a good musician and a real gentleman. I miss
him and will remember him fondly.

Jordan Hirsch