RE: Romanian fiddler available September 27th?

Mary.... I reread the original request prior to responding. I understand how
you might perceive this, and that it could smack of some sort of reverse
racism. However, what we seem to have is a couple, I assume non-Jewish, who
upon seeing and hearing this wonderful gift of Jewish wedding music, wanted
to include it as a part of their wedding. The fact that it falls on Rosh
Hashanah, which even the most secular of Jews treat with a certain respect
is problematic. Most of my Jewish friends, who range from Chassidic through
Atheist, somehow would not feel comfortable working on that date.

It is however, a wonderful thing that there are musicians who can and do
play this music with feeling, love and respect, to the extent that they can
add this dimension to the wedding in question. In context, the fact that non
Jewish musicians would play Klezmer music for a non Jewish wedding, is
rather poetic, and lends credence to the thought there is hope for us all in
this turbulent world.

About a year ago, I began to take lessons from Martin Van de Ven, so I could
really learn to play Klezmer music. One of the first things he (a non-Jewish
transplanted Dutchman)said to me (a first generation son of Holocaust
survivors who grew up immersed in Yiddish, and rebelling against the
culture), after listenng to me play for a few minutes was "I am going to
teach you how to play so you sound 'Jewish'". One need only listen to Martin
play to understand. His respect and reverence for the history of this music
is apparent in his wonderful sound.

Mel.