Re: Music from China

Katie,

I have two ideas for you.  One is a very "oriental" sounding song called
"Yiddish (Di velt iz ful mit redn)", text by Mani Leyb, music by Hersh
Volovitz, which says:

The world is full of speaking,
Everyone speaks one,
Each in their own way,
Each with their own language.

And Jews speak Yiddish
In every, every corner of the world.
In hottest Africa,
And in cold Siberia.

And Jews speak Yiddish,
And Yiddish is beautiful, as you know
And  two Jews easily understand as only they can.

And Jews speak Yiddish
In every, every corner of the world.
In hottest Africa,
And in cold Siberia.

You can find some recordings listed at (I'd be glad to record one for you):

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/freedman/

The other is a rather odd song, text by Rivke Golin, music by Mikhl
Gelbart, called "Tshing tshang tsu".  The lyrics are basically these:
Tshing tshang tsu, who knows where?
Are you the Chinese with the short noses?
Boys wear dresses, girls wear pants?
On smooth heads dangle long braids?
Pretty almond eyes, bow like birds?

Then again, maybe not...

Lorele  :-)

Katie Marcus wrote:

>Hi.   I have another research question...
>
>For an exhibit on synagogues in China, we would like to have some music
>playing in the background... can anyone recommend a cd that would have an
>appropriate song (we just need about a minute.)  There are two community shuls
>we are featuring, one Ashkenazi and one Sephardi.  This is for children, so I
>am hoping to find some music that has an Asian sound to it (though I know that
>any traditional Ashkenazi and Sephardi melody would be appropriate). I would
>like one that would interest kids, and that they would associate with the Far
>East.
>
>Can anyone make a recommendation?
>
>Thanks.
>

>Katie Marcus
>Program Coordinator
>Jewish Life & Learning
>Jewish Community Center of Metro Detroit
>6600 West Maple Road
>West Bloomfield, MI 48322
>(248) 432-5470
>(248) 432-5552 (FAX)