-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
[mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org] On Behalf Of Alex J Lubet
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 3:44 PM
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: Re: Music from China

I don't think you'll find anything from primary sources, although I'd
love
to be wrong in this case.  My understanding is that there's just very
little of the culture preserved by those few Chinese who are aware of
their
Jewish background.  My friend, composer Samuel Adler, who currently
teaches
at Juilliard and who is doubtless a well-known name to many of you on
this
list, wrote a cantata some years ago entitled The Jews of Kaifeng that
includes some pentatonic, Orientalist stuff.  We've been out of touch
for a
few years, but a Google search for Adler and Juilliard should find him.

I heard a talk many years ago about the architecture of the Kaifeng
synagogue by a Twin cities art historian, Marilyn Chiat.  One of the
things
that she had mentioned was the replacement of the shofar with a gong.
It
probably wouldn't be enough music for you.

This also a recording I've heard making the rounds of Hava Nagila played
by
an orchestra of Chinese instruments from Hong Kong.  I don't know where
one
would find it, but you might try.

This would be really stretching it, but there's a klezmer band from
Tokyo
that incorporates some sounds of Japanese music.  I have a cassette of
their music, but it's at home, and I'm in Galveston, Texas, where,
believe
it or not, there's a wonderful Jewish community with quite a history.

Shalom y'all,

 On 28 Jul 2003, Katie Marcus wrote:
> Hi.   I have another research question...
>
> For an exhibit on synagogues in China, we would like to have some
music =
> playing in the background... can anyone recommend a cd that would have
=
> an appropriate song (we just need about a minute.)  There are two =
> community shuls we are featuring, one Ashkenazi and one Sephardi.
This =
> is for children, so I am hoping to find some music that has an Asian =
> sound to it (though I know that any traditional Ashkenazi and Sephardi
=
> melody would be appropriate). I would like one that would interest
kids,
=