Re: A Jewish Odyssey - Consuelo Luz

I have a CD titled Dezeo by Consuelo Luz which I purchased from her after a
concert a few years ago.  In the liner notes, it mentions that she was
raised Catholic in South America and Europe.  As far as I know she is not
Jewish, but can trace her roots back to the Sephardim who left Spain in the
1500's and sailed to Mexico and then to "Nuevo Mexico".  She mentions that
in the 1980's a Rabbi at a Jewish Chavurah in New Mexico approached her to
sing some ancient Jewish spiritual songs because she knew she sang in
Spanish.  The songs were in Ladino and Consuelo learned them and has shared
them at worship services and in concert.  She says that when she sang them
"something deep stirred inside me and in those who heard the songs.  This
was a powerful spiritual energy, hidden for centuries, yearning for
expression."

Judy :)

Judy Caplan Ginsburgh, Professional Singer
1999 Louisiana Professional Artist of the Year!
judy (at) jewishentertainment(dot)net     -    judy (at) judymusic(dot)com
 www.judymusic.com
Hot off the Press!  My Jewish World - a new early childhood music curriculum
http://uahc.org/cgi-bin/pressdisp.pl?list=301786
Director: Jewish Entertainment Resources - We Help You Find Jewish Talent!
www.jewishentertainment.net
Conference Chair, CAJE 23: www.caje.org
Member - Children's Music Network; www.cmnonline.org
Member - Women Cantor's Network; www.womencantors.net
"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on
both hands. You need to be able to throw something back."