Re: Chords and Scales

According to my study/knowledge of jazz chords & notation, a chord with a
flat 9th & 13th still has a natural 2nd & 6th therefore negating the
similarity. And those chords are often not the only material used in
selecting a scale for the improvizer i.e. you can use any the other note
with feeling & even substitute a scale using none of the notes of the scale
the chord suggests.
What I'm saying is that I feel Ahava Raba is a lot more presciptive of THE
notes to use. The blues & jazz superimpose scales on top of each other so
although the sonic material relates, the theory is vastly different.

Pietro from KaOZ Klezmer

>Hope you'll indulge me in a reality check.  Today I was looking at a Blues
"lead sheet".  One of the chord notations is D7(b9b13).  When I actually
started thinking about how to use that chord, I realized that it marks out
Ahava Raba on D.  Is that right?
>--
>Dick Hauser
>Olympia Washington

Study Business at USQ's Australian Graduate School of Business.
http://www.usq.edu.au/faculty/business/usqagsb/