Jewish Karagiozis?

Hi everyone,

Concerning Sandra's request, I don't know if the Jews of the Ottoman
empire/Greece had their own Karagiozis tradition-it would be really interesting
to know. One would imagine then that the quintessential "romaic" hero
Karagiozis would be replaced by a Jewish counterpart...

As you probably already know, the "Evreos" (Jew), who could go under the name
of Yakov or Solomon, was of course one of the stock characters of the Greek
Karagiozis, along with Hatziavatis, Morfonios and the others. I think that he
was usually described as coming from Salonica, Salonica being "the mother of
the Jews". This was according to the tradition that the Karagiozis figures were
often portrayed not only as representatives of various ethnic groups, but also
as representatives of a certain region-for example, there is sior-Dionysios who
represent the (somewhat downfallen!) Heptanese aristocracy.

Here's a link were you can see how the "Evreos" was portrayed by various
Karagiozis players:

http://karaghiozis.net/figures/figures.html

All the best, Eva

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->