O.T. The "orientalising" of Greek popular music

Hi again,

Although this is not a Greek music list, I know that many members are
interested in Greek music. Here's an interesting article on the "oriental wave"
in Greek music.

http://www.geocities.com/hydragathering/holst3.html

The references to Kazantzidis singing Kaldaras is interesting in connection to
the "indoprepi" (Hindi style) songs dealt with in Ambatzis-Tasoulas book
"Indoprepon Apokalypsi"-I have a hunch that a fair share of the "tourkogyftika"
songs Holst-Warhaft refers to are in fact Indian movie songs! The reference to
Tsitsanis "Oriental" (and somewhat parodical- I think he's actually poking fun
at the "Oriental" myth) tunes like "Arapines" is also interesting. Tsitsanis is
often mentioned for his severe criticism of composers like Kaldaras who adapted
Indian movie songs-but he did write a few similar-sounding tunes himself! Of
course, as Ambatzi-Tasouloas comment in their book, Tsitsanis would probably
turn in his grave if he heard all the "araboprepi" pop songs which flood the
current Greek music market!;-)

Eva

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->