The rebirth of Santo Servicio/Santo Serviço

Dear Jewish Musicians,

After exactly 60 years, the Portuguese Jewish Community in Amsterdam has
re-established their Synagogue Choir.  After the decimation of the Jewish
Communities of Holland after the Shoa, it was hard to believe that it would
be possible that the rich traditions of Dutch Chazzanut (both Ashkenaz &
Sephardic) would ever be re-established.

Nearly 18 years ago, the Ashkenaz jewish community of Amsterdam
re-established their men's synagogue choir.  Their repertoire is based
primarily on the German classical (Yekkish) Chazzanut traditions.  For the
last 11 years I've had the great opportunity to conduct this choir.

After recently discovering the in-tact scores of the pre-war Portuguese
Jewish Community choir's "Santo Servicio/Santo Serviço", the cultural
committee of the Portuguese Community made an attempt to re-establish their
pre-war male synagogue choir.  Our list now contains 22 names, and we have
been meeting regularly for the last 2 months.

The one thing we don't have for this inititiative is funding.  Would anyone
on this list know if institutions or individuals that could be interested in
contributing to keep these intiatives alive?

Attached you will find a midi file of the original men's choir arrangement
of the Portuguese Synagogue's "Mizmor Shir l'Yom haShabbat (Tob Lehodot &
Hashem Malach).

I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Shabbat Shalom,

Barry Mehler
Musical Director
   - Amsterdam Synagogue Choir/Amsterdams Synagogaal Koor
   - Santo Servicio/Santo Serviço

Barry J. Mehler
Postbus 17154
1001 JD Amsterdam