Re: Carl Orff

Another thought occurs to me. Someone mentioned, (I don't know who) that
Orff was a member of the Nazi party, as was Von Karajan. And being a party
member does not make someone a murderer. Well, sorry, but while that may be
true in the literal sense, any party member has to bear responsibility for
the actions of the party. people joined the party for a ariety of reasons,
often in advancement of their carreers. But ultimately, their party
membership supported the genocide, and so they were obviously willing to
live with it. what makes a crime like genocide unique is not the mass murder
itself, but the purposelessness of it. Destroying a nation just because you
don't like them is the act of a morally depraved people. Anyone who was
ppart of the apparatus of that act even if they did not pull the trigger
ipso facto accepts the validity of the crime.

Jordan Hirsch