Re: here we go again....

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judith R Cohen" <judithc (at) YorkU(dot)CA>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 12:46 AM
Subject: here we go again....

> some
> Orthodox rabbis might be there.  No, they could not possibly have a
> woman sing at this event.

I still am utterly mystified about why the Orthodox men, rabbis or
otherwise, who feel they can't listen to a women's voice, can't just
stay away from the event, mind their own business, and let everyone else
make their own decisions. I was brought up to see Judaism as full of
adult choices and one's own concscience.
<snip>

It is one viewpoint that we each have an individual relationship with God.
Another viewpoint is based on writings in the Torah, particularly
Deuteronomy, that clearly say that the community may suffer from the
misdeeds of a few, so the community is responsible to correct those
individuals.  An "out" for some is to declare that those individuals who
don't conform aren't really Jews.  I truly resent that.

Understanding another's basis for his views and practices doesn't always
make them attractive to me, when the others don't respect my right to
opinions, even when I explain them