Re: new KlezmerShack main page

At 08:39 AM 2/4/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>The KlezmerShack's new masthead reads "Klezmer Kunyho."   "Kunyho" means
>"shed" in Hungarian.  Thanks, Internet, for that .  Ari, is there any
>Yiddish, or klezmer, connection -- or you just like leading in Hungarian?

Well, one of the world's best klezmer bands, Di Naye Kapelye, some incredibly
fond memories, and a boatload of incredible Jewish music, klezmer and
otherwise, come from Hungary (as does incredible music in general, if like me,
you are a fan of Muszikas and similar groups, or the compositions of Bela
Bartok). If you've noticed over the years, the KlezmerShack logo, varies with
irregular frequency. It almost always includes Yiddish (the one exception being
the split with Serbo-Croatian, where I needed to show two alphabets saying the
same thing) and English. A third language is added when I have time, or change
logos. The significance? Well, klezmer is international, for one, and I enjoy
celebrating that fact. And I happen to be an authority on multilingual
typography, so it's a chance to show off, for another.

Hope that's okay.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/