Re: jewish hurdy gurdy

> At one time, around a year or two ago, I was exploring the hurdy-gurdy
> although can't remember where I heard one used in the Jewish band. For buying
> one I only knew and know of Lark in the Morning.

I probably would not recommend buying a hurdy gurdy through Lark, as their
markups and return policy are generally not advantageous on such items
(although if you would like me to research a particular instrument they
carry, please contact me offlist). Better to deal directly with a maker.

> Also, didn't know which
> variety or brand to consider. Since I'm not familiar enough with the
> capabilities and difficulty of obtaining the sound or maneuvering the notes,
> which kind or brand would be best.

There are only two shops making professional quality hurdy gurdies in the US
that I know of: Matthew Szostak in Camden, Maine, and Alden & Cali Hackman
of Washington State. Mine is a Szostak. It is fabulous. He had about a
2-year waiting list the last I heard. You can see my hurdy gurdy (and soon
Seth's tekero, as well) at http://www.sethausten.com/hurdygurdy.html , and
there is a link there also to Matthew's very useful hurdy gurdy pages.

Another option is to get an instrument from a European maker.

> I had at one time heard of the hurdy gurdy
> being used in Jewish music but am pleased, certainly, to hear more about it
> and actually see it in a wedding scene.
> Hints from players? Where to purchase, browse? Which kind? (Square, simple,
> French, German?)

My advice would be to avoid the square ones; most of these have no buzzing
bridge and sound pitiful. There is practically no such thing as a good hurdy
gurdy that does not cost a pretty penny, so be prepared to spend a bunch.

Beverly
--
Beverly Woods
http://www.beverlywoods.net