Re: jewish hurdy gurdy

the hurdy gurdy is mentioned in a Yizkor book about "Jewish Gypsies" in
Mlawa:

http://www.jewishgen.org/Yizkor/mlawa/mla009.html

The trade in horses was on an entirely different scale. Not every young
Hassid who was out of work was capable of smuggling horses across the
border. It required expertise. Close to the border there was extensive trade
in horses. In town there were respectable citizens such as the Wiur family,
Freidenberg, Lichter, and Yoseph Domkiewicz who dealt in horses. Their trade
extended throughout the country and abroad. No one thought it in bad taste.
The lively trade in stolen horses was well described by Opatoshu in his
book, "The Horse Thieves." Horse thieves like Kivke Pareh and Gradid, the
hurdy-gurdy man, occasionally stole a horse from a stable and sneaked it
across the border. But this was only for "amateurs," when they had the
chance. "Big-time" professional horse thieves were called "kradnikim." This
profession was passed on from father to son. Not only were they horse
thieves but also mayvins and great lovers of horses. For many years they
headed this trade across the border
********
Hurdy-gurdies accompanied their performances with sad melodies. They were so
"solemn" that they aroused feelings of loneliness in all the streets. They
weighed down the peasants' hearts, depressed them so, that tears welled up
in their eyes. Fragmented and hoarse sounds like forlorn and abandoned
orphans, filled the entire market. It was then that Gershon the
Organ-Grinder, with a beak like that of a bird of prey and a face like that
of a corpse, yelled out to the crowd to try its luck. A green parrot with a
gold ring on its leg, attached to the music-box, in exchange for several
pennies would pick out a fortune card tucked away in a small envelope.
Sometimes, some side income came their way - picking the pockets of a
stranger, "exchanging" a horse or cow. This resulted in smacks, blows, or
knives - according to the season.

http://www.jewishgen.org/Yizkor/mlawa/mla001.html

All the Jewish stores in the market and all the stalls were chock-full of
peasant men and women who had come to town to buy goods. One examined a
scythe, another bought a pair of boots, a suit, a cap. The farmers' wives
bought kerosene, salt, herring, flowery kerchiefs, white material, and
corals. The hurdy-gurdies played, the magicians showed off their magic
tricks, swallowed knives, and ate fire