Re: Hebrew Liturgical Music of Rome, Piedmont, Italy

Dear Alex,

it's a good thing to bump into Elio Piattelli's collections of
Italian liturgical and para-liturgical tunes!

The two books you mentioned were followed by a third one, on the
Sephardic ritual in Florence (1982). Piattelli, z.l., recently passed
away in Rome, where he had been active for many many years as choir
director at the main synagogue of the city (the one in the Ghetto,
next to the Tevere).
His three published books are only a part of the immense work of
transcribing traditional Italian tunes from all over the country
(Trieste, Venice, etc.) that he undertook throughout his life.

His sources were of various origins. For Rome, he based the
transcriptions on the tradition as it was being carried on by the
main cantors of his days, both of Italian and Sephardic rite. His
work arrived, Rome-wise, a little bit "late" (although it is
priceless), at a time in which the distinctions between the ancient
Italian ritual and an array of Sephardic influences (from Sicily,
Livorno, and Sepharad at large, as represented in the famous "Cinque
scole", the Five Synagogues that were unified in the present one at
the beginning of the 20th century), were already difficult to discern.

For Florence, his source was chiefly the late Rabbi and Cantor
Fernando Belgrado, a wonderful singer, and also a great fan of J.
Rosenblatt, as some of the pieces he used to sing clearly show.
However, the Florence book is a good source, especially if combined
with the "Italian" tunes that appear in I. Levy's collection of
Sephardic liturgical melodies.

For Piedmont, his source were the recordings made in the 1950's by
Leo Levi. Here, being quite familiar with the original materials, I
am able to evaluate Piattelli's skills as a transcriber of orally
transmitted tunes, and say that although the transcriptions are
altogether quite reliable, they are sometimes misleading if compared
with the recordings. The same can be said for the unpublished
transcriptions, as well as for those Roman and Florentine pieces that
also appear in Leo Levi's recordings.

As far as giving a general evaluation of the repertoire, its
modality, and possible dates, I would like to refer you to the little
introduction I provide in the booklet of the CD "Italian Jewish
Musical Traditions from the Leo Levi Collection", issued earlier this
year by the Jewish Music Research Center at the Hebrew University,
together with the Italian National Music Academy, which you can find
online.
These materials are so varied in origin that it is difficult to say
something relevant about them as a whole, but if you (or anyone else
on the List) are interested in specific items, I can try to help.

Best,
Francesco