Re: Jewish songwriters

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eliott Kahn" <Elkahn (at) JTSA(dot)EDU>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 1:47 PM
Subject: Re: Jewish songwriters

> I'm stunned to find out Brian Wilson's mother was Jewish, but I shouldn't
be too surprised. People of Jewish descent have clearly been the best
American songwriters. We invented Tin Pan Alley. We invented the Broadway
musical. We provided a large contribution to early Rock and Roll
(Lieber/Stoller, Schuman/Pomus), and now one can safely say that of the most
important songwriters for pop music of the sixties and seventies, four of
them were of Jewish descent: Carole (Klein) King, Burt Bacharach, Bob Dylan,
and Brian Wilson.

Also two of the most interesting professional songwriters in the immediate
post-Beatle era. P.F. Sloan, who wrote hits for just about everybody (His
two best known songs are Eve of Destruction and Secret Agent Man) and Graham
Gouldman who wrote "For Your Love" and "Bus Stop" among others.