Re: Jewish songwriters

I'm stunned to find out Brian Wilson's mother was Jewish, but I shouldn't be
too surprised. People of Jewish descent have clearly been the best American
songwriters. We invented Tin Pan Alley. We invented the Broadway musical. We
provided a large contribution to early Rock and Roll (Lieber/Stoller,
Schuman/Pomus), and now one can safely say that of the most important
songwriters for pop music of the sixties and seventies, four of them were of
Jewish descent: Carole (Klein) King, Burt Bacharach, Bob Dylan, and Brian
Wilson.

One might make the argument that these folks were not practicing Jews and made
no contribution to "Jewish music" per se, and I would agree with them. But if
one would accept being Jewish as a distinctive culture, which I do, then we
have every reason to be proud of the enormous contributions that these
songwriters and composers have made to American culture.

One only need think back on the old nineteenth century German adage that Jews
are great interpreters but not creators of music and to see it for bigoted
nonsense it really was.

Or one only need go to the opera and hear PORGY AND BESS.

Shabbat Shalom,

Eliott Kahn