From: "Eliott Kahn" <Elkahn (at) JTSA(dot)EDU>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 1:47 PM
Subject: Re: Jewish songwriters

> I'm stunned to find out Brian Wilson's mother was Jewish, but I shouldn't
be too surprised. People of Jewish descent have clearly been the best
American songwriters. We invented Tin Pan Alley. We invented the Broadway
musical. We provided a large contribution to early Rock and Roll
(Lieber/Stoller, Schuman/Pomus), and now one can safely say that of the most
important songwriters for pop music of the sixties and seventies, four of
them were of Jewish descent: Carole (Klein) King, Burt Bacharach, Bob Dylan,
and Brian Wilson.

> One might make the argument that these folks were not practicing Jews and
made no contribution to "Jewish music" per se, and I would agree with them.
But if one would accept being Jewish as a distinctive culture, which I do,
then we have every reason to be proud of the enormous contributions that
these songwriters and composers have made to American culture.

> One only need think back on the old nineteenth century German adage that
Jews are great interpreters but not creators of music and to see it for
bigoted nonsense it really was.