Beregovski recommendation

Well, here's my $0.02.  I can't comment on accuracy-- though I think there was
a post forwarded from Kurt Bjorling on some transcription issues in book 2 (the
Instrumental Book) within the last 6 months.
There have been other postings (from Robert Rothstein and others) on the
difference between the two books.  Basically the first (Old Jewish Folk Music)
is a collection of Beregovski's writings, has some instrumental tunes, a bunch
of nice Hasidic wordless nigunim and a whole lot of Yiddish lider.  The second
book (if you get confused, it's the one listing Michael Alpert as a
co-contributor) is a translation of Beregovski's Instrumental Music book.  I
think all of the instrumental tunes in the first book are found in the second,
though the second book does not have any of the nigunim (many work well
instrumentally).
Would recommend both, but if you're a klezmer musician looking for repertoire
and can only buy one-- definitely go for the second.  It's a HUGE collection of
wonderful tunes and you get Beregovski's fascinating translated volume on
instrumental music.  Also comes with a CD (the first does not)-- the CD has a
compilation of recordings of tunes in the book (some historical-- Belf,
Schwartz, etc., the others contemporary-- Brave Old World, KCB,
Strauss/Warschauer).
The majority of tunes in the second book have been transcribed into G freygish
or G minor.  Possibly this was done to simplify analysis, but you have to go to
the notes to decipher what the original key was that the song was played in
(notes document the performer/instrument, where tune was collected from, where
the tune originates from).
An added bonus, at the end of the second book is a selection of virtuosic
klezmer concertos composed by the likes of Pedotser & Alter Goyzman--
exploration of these forms (and hopefully new copmositions) will surely be one
of the next frontiers of klezmer's revival.  These are written for violin, but
can be adapted for any instrument-- even tsimbl.
 Alex Jacobowitz <alexbjacobowitz (at) yahoo(dot)com> wrote:B"H Munich

Is anyone prepared to compare the old and the new
Beregovski, in scope, quality, accuracy, etc, and make
their comparison public?

Shalom from Bavaria,

Alex Jacobowitz

http://sbc.yahoo.com