Re: Judy Garland & "Eli, Eli"

Here's Eliott Kahn's post from that time.  It seems that, indeed, you may have
sheet music for the Yiddish theater song that Eliott refers to.

Bob

>From Elkahn (at) JTSA(dot)EDU

George:

I didn't see the Garland special but if she sang it for Louis B. Mayer (with an
"a") it would have been in the 1930s. The Wizard of Oz, filmed when Garland was
still a teenager was released in 1939.

The song she most likely sang for Mayer was Eli Eli, originally written for the
Yiddish theatre. Except for its opening line: Eli Eli loma asavtoni (from Ps.22
as well as the Gospel of St. Matthew), the remainder of the song is a Yiddish
plaint to God from the suffering Jew: " ... In feier in flam hot men uns
gebrent ..." According to Irene Heskes, the song was extremely popular, sung
years later by Yossele Rosenblatt on his vaudeville tours, and published in
several editions-- including a a setting done by Michael Schalit for the St.
Petersburg Folk Music Society. Yet the song was originally written by Peretz
Jacob Koppel Sandler in 1896 for a Yiddish show at the Windsor Theatre on the
Bowery in New York City.

The Senesh poem is entirely in Hebrew, the first lines beginning: "Eli, Eli,
shelo yigameir l'olam...."

Eliott Kahn