  From: Richard Green
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 5:02 PM
  Subject: Re: what is a Shlomo song?

       Am Yisrael Chai is probably the most widely known of all Shlomo
Carlebach's tunes.  It was composed in the '60s as an anthem for the Russian
Jewry movement.  Yisrael B'tach Bashem, Od Yishama, Borchi Nafshi, Adir Hu,
Oseh Shalom, etc. are all Shlomo tunes.

       Shlomo's later tunes include Eliyahu Hanvi, the Cracow Nigun, his last
Uv'nei Otah rendition (the final song he actually composed).  The "Best of 30
Years" compilations have a breakdown by decade but I find them somewhat over
produced and over commercialized.

       During the something close to 40 year period that Shlomo composed songs
his style evolved.  His later recordings have a more modern approach than his
early compositions.

       And his daughter, Neshama Carlebach, has taken an even more modern style
of interperatation of her father's music with rock style leads on her self
titled first solo CD and Shimon C Lanzbom's guitar playing on the Haneshamah
Shel Shlomo album. Haneshama also featured Shlomo's singing too.

    Since I own 57 recordings of his, I'm pretty well versed on all of it.  I
think it should be approached from a look at each decade and time period as
Shlomo tended to change with the times although he definitely was at his height
in the '60s.

  >From: merubin (at) attbi(dot)com
  >To: World music from a Jewish slant
  >Subject: what is a Shlomo song?
  >Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:51:54 +0000
  >
  >Shalom chevre,
  >
  >I have been on this list for a short while, but I love
  >the wonderful bits of information and sharing that get
  >passed around! Thanks for creating such a nurturing
  >community.
  >
  >This past week marked the eighth yahrtzeit of Reb Shlomo
  >Carlebach. I am the music mensch at the Jewish Renewal
  >congregation in Chicago (Makom Shalom) nowadays, but I
  >can honestly say that it was listening to a tribute CD
  >of his songs and niggunim that brought me full fold into
  >the world of Jewish music.
  >
  >Some friends and I were talking about it last Shabbos.
  >Is there any one song that you could say is
  >representative as "a Shlomo song"? It's difficult, of
  >course, because there are so many wonderful songs that
  >crossed over boundaries to become popular across
  >denominations. I never knew Reb Shlomo or saw him in
  >concert during his life, but I do know that his music
  >inspired me and continues to inspire me to this day.
  >
  >Does anyone else have thoughts on any one song as
  >representative as "a Shlomo song"? For me, if I had to
  >choose one, it would be "L'maan Achai/Brothers and
  >Friends" followed very closely by "Return Again."
  >
  >Any thoughts?
  >
  >b'shalom v'chevrut,
  >Michael
  >
  >p.s. The name of that tribute CD is called "Echoes of
  >Reb Shlomo." It's WONDERFUL and I highly recommend it.
  >
  >--
  >PLEASE NOTE NEW NUMBER AND E-MAIL
  >MICHAEL E. RUBIN
  >e-mail: merubin (at) attbi(dot)com
  >tel: 847-840-1757
  >"I believed in the healing power
  > of words..." - Eugene Fitzpatrick
  > "Until the End of the World"
  >
  > Shalom 'n' Namaste, y'all!

  Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.  Try MSN! Click Here