Re: Help: looking for a word

I like Yidishn ta'am, but I wonder if that's descriptive enough.  I
mean, I know what it means, but you have to know what Yidishn ta'am
feels like from experience to get an idea of what the phrase
expresses, so it doesn't say to an outsider what you mean.  If "soul
music" were called music with an African-American flavor, you
wouldn't know what that means unless you had experienced
African-American culture. But to call it soul music, is to say
something about the universally human source of what gives the music
its character. So, for what it's worth, I might suggest a phrase from
the song, Shpil-zhe mir a lidele in Yidish, "mit harts un mit gefil,"
"with heart and with feeling."

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band