Re: Tangential to the Madonna Thread

As an old Trekker, I'm sorry this is happening, not sure what to make of
it.  The one thing I feel confident of, from past experience, is that
it's not strictly speaking a 1st Amendment issue, although it obviously
has much to do with freedom of expression.

For purely accidental reasons of name-sharing (and I hope this is not
too far off-topic since it deals with pop culture if not exactly music),
I wonder if anyone else watches Law & Order:  Criminal Intent.  Of all
the L & W's, it's the one by far most focused on a single character, a
detective named Bobby Goren, whom I've always assumed (though it's never
stated) is Jewish.  He's portrayed as unbelievably brilliant but also
bordering on obnoxious and maybe even a touch evil.  One rarely gets the
sense he's a moral crusader, more a gamer, unlike a lot of other tv
cops.

Obviously, I've reacted pretty strongly to this portrayal (and it's not
unrelated to the work I do on Jewish in American popular music), so I'm
curious as to whether anyone else has noticed this as a rather unique
Jewish media image.

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music