Re: OT: HTML Encoded Letters

At 01:11 PM 10/8/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Listers,
>
>Is it just me, or are more and more letters being submitted with HTML coding.
>None of the other listservs that I am on allow HTML encoded letters. I may be
>a minority of one here, but my ancient crippled AOL browser does not decode
>any non-AOL HTML encoded letters, so all I get is a bunch of HTML markup
>gibberish with the real letter hidden within. I find this very frustrating
>and usually toss the letter without struggling to read it.
>
>Ari, is there any list protocol covering this?

There is a list protocol covering this--people are requested to know enough
about their e-mail programs to ensure that they are sending plain text to the
list, NOT formatted text.

Not everyone understands this, and I have no useful way to enforce it. I =can=
point out that anyone who views the list archives will discover that those
posts to the list that use HTML are unreadable, so if participants don't take
the time to figure this out, not only are messages unreadable to some
immediately, they are permanently near-indecipherable to all in the archives.

So, I guess the short answer is "if you have something to write to the list, it
is worth taking the time to ensure that you are saying it in a manner that it
can be read."

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/