Re: Yerushalayim shel zahav

For 35 years this song, 'Yerushalayim shel zahav', has been one of the most
recognized, most widely sung, most beloved, and most widely respected in the
Jewish community world wide. Current politics aside, one could say, that
other than Hatikvah, (and possibly some very much older folk or holiday
favorite), this song was THE representative song of Jewish sentiment world
wide. (There are, of course, as there have always been, diverent political
and religious views within the Jewish community AND always will be, but in
this case, I believe those to be a small minority).

Many American/Western Jews may not have known completely, or didn't
understand completely the entirety of the verses of this song, but they knew
and sang the refrain. I would say one could compare it to becoming a Jewish
national "hymn" in some respects, in the old-fashioned meaning of a unifying
'hymn'. Very often this type of phenomenon takes place outside the realm of
politics, but rather in the world of the heart and in community/identity
formation. I have seen Jewish groups and communities all over the world,
large and small, young and old, in religious settings and secular, sing this
song with an emotional fervor not held for any other. At least in the time
frame of the late 20th century, this was one of the most important Jewish
songs, if not THE most important Jewish song. The fact of that phenomenon
will not be diminished by retrospective reinterpretations, assignments or
political overlays that occur in this new century.

Judy