-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
[mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of Ari Davidow
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 22:59
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: Re: Yerushalayim shel zahav

Without wanting to get in a big discussion about this--I can represent what
I have been told about objections to "Jerusalem of Gold," but am not a
primary source, and apparently no one else on the list is--but this issue is
not with the "Hashiveynu." Rather, I have been told that when Shemer
describes the markets in the Old City as "empty" there is a problem. The
markets were empty of Jews (gee, wonder how that happened), but certainly in
no other sense "empty". In that sense, the poem is seen by some as
dehumanizing those who were teeming in the markets--the Arabs--but who
weren't Jewish.

I hope I have represented this reasonably. Please don't press me on it, as I
agree, partially, with the premise (well, yes, it is rather unfortunate to
refer to the Old City markets as empty when they aren't), but can probably
also be heard to have some problems with the disingenuousness of the
argument (already pointed out--how did we get there and who is taking
responsibility?).

So, no, hard as it is to believe, I don't think this is a theological thing
:-).

ari