Re: Yerushalayim shel zahav

In a message dated 9/23/2002 9:48:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
rlcm17 (at) hotmail(dot)com writes:

> in re Lori's comment on
> (by comparison) "Al Kol Eyle," that "the last line of the chorus--"return
> us
> and we will be returned...to the good land"--expresses a core traditional
> Jewish value, iterated and reiterated (as Shlomo Riskin used to say)
> throughout the liturgy--including (Jewish calendar-wise) both the High
> Holidays liturgy and the Regalim (e.g., Sukkot) liturgy.  Obviously some
> may
> find support in that lyric for a particular political position--which
> really
> means a particular priority--that not all share, but I'm not sure what Lori
>
> means by the "original more general [meaning]."

I thought that I made it clear that, whereas there might not have been any
particular political spin in the song--a song which I have often sung with
great feeling but without particular political bent--Al Kol Eyle is an
example of a song which, to a certain degree, has been coopted by people of a
political viewpoint--in this case, support of the settlements.  One may sing
any song that one chooses, but one should also be aware when it's become
loaded by current politics.
Thas all.
Lori

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->