Re:Hatikvah, Yerushalayim shel zahav, God Bless America, etc

Re perceptions of class and "jingoism" in national anthems:
Apparently, Naomi Shemer's 'Yerushalayim shel zahav' has also
come to have "connotations." I recently heard (and sang) it at a
Jewish campfire, where it was part of a medley of Hebrew and
Yiddish songs (some recent Israeli songs, some "folk liturgy"
like 'oseh sholom bimromov ..."). I got the distinct impression
that it was taken to be too "pro-Israeli" by some, perhaps
because of some contexts in which the song has come to be
sung or even Shemer's personal politics.

Contexts always matter, but I wouldn't accept any guilt by (disdainful)
association and dismissal of "yerushalayim shel zahav" or (l'havdil)
of a "God Bless America"; it always depends on who is singing it and
why.
Lee

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.