Re: greetings- off topic, but current

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, jonathan gordon wrote:

> 1.gamar tov (is it ever spoken before the end of yom
> kippur?  when does g'mar tov expire- Simchat torah,
> or hoshannah raba.

G'mar (chatimah) tov(ah) is the traditional wish used
during the Aseret Yemei Teshuvah. On Yom Kippur itself
people tend to wish each other just a "Gut Yontef/chag
same'ach". On Motsa'ei Yom Kippur people wish each
other "Shanim Rabbot" or something similar.
I've never heard "G'mar Tov" after Yom Kippur.

> 2. a guten kvitl.

Never heard this one.

> 3. Has anyone ever heard an unpaid Jew say "moadim l'simcha,
> chagim l'sasson" or similar words to a neighbor or friend?

"Mo'adim L'simchah" is the traditional wish used during
Chol Hamo'ed. One responds to this wish with "Chagim
Uzmanim L'sasson". Another traditional wish for this
period is "Gut Mo'ed".

Groeten,

  Irwin Oppenheim
  i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl