LISTSERV REPENTENCE

Al cheyt, I know it's off-topic!  Gmar tov, everyone!

LISTSERV REPENTANCE

For the sin we have committed in posting copyrighted material to the
listserv,

and for the sin we have committed by forwarding virus warnings, NEA appeals,
and dying child requests.

For the sin we have committed in harshly judging other List members  by their
spelling or use of punctuation,

and for the sin we have committed in posting a message without spell checking
it first.

For the sin we have committed by raising our voice through the over-use of
capital letters,

and for the sin we have committed in lowercasing the pronoun "I" as  an
original and clever expression of language.

For the sin we have committed in rushing to delete overly long  messages and
those with the name of a digest on the subject line,

and for the sin we have committed in responding to the List by simply
pressing the Reply key.

For the sin we have committed in posting "unsubscribe" and other server
commands to the List itself,

and for the sin we have committed in enjoying what were obviously  private
messages sent to the List in error.

For the sin we have committed in assuming that anyone with e-mail  also has
access to the Web, U.S. television, and the spiritual foundation with which
we were raised,

and for the sin we have committed in believing that our gentle digs and
tongue-in-cheek comments could never be misinterpreted.

For the sin we have committed in analyzing an innocent comment to death,

and for the sin we have committed in failing to recognize that for some List
members, rebutting one piece of a post is  the best way to show that the
whole message was taken seriously.

For the sin we have committed in posting how everyone should take it easy and
not be so sensitive,

and for the sin we have committed in feeling personally insulted by  another
List member's inability to master Netiquette  and an undetermined portion of
their real world lives.

For the sin we have committed in trying to post attachments to the List,

and for the sin we have committed in believing that our bonds with the List
community were a replacement for neighborhood, volunteer, and other real
world attachments.

For the sin we have committed in feeling superior to List members whose
self-revelations have actually taught us valuable lessons,

and for the sin we have committed in forgetting that the archives are
searchable, and that sharing confidential information about  people who may
someday seek it out is an act of honesty that could eventually harm the
innocent.

For the sin we have committed in fearing on-line disagreements as divisive
and dangerous, forgetting that our community is truly multifaceted,

and for the sin we have committed by not attempting to start a new  thread if
the List seemed to need a different direction.

For these and other sins, some are guilty, all are responsible for the Send
button.

 ~ From Carl in Israel ~

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->