Re: MItzvah music and dance

I'm no expert on this, but I believe some ethnic groups' enthusiasm for dance is a carry-over from the glory days of the nationality movements from places like Austria-Hungary.

In Cleveland there are still assorted community-based Eastern Europeans dance troupes.

The Jewish community devotes a lot of energy to sending our kids to Hebrew school, which doesn't, for historical reasons, emphasize dance. (Jews take pride in "learning" -- studying. And, man, there's a lot to study!)

Come to think of it, tho, my wife has taught Jewish dance at a Reform synagogue here for at least five years. It's an elective part of the curriculum. In part it attracts the kids who can't sit still for "learning."

-Bert Stratton
Yiddishe Cup
http://www.yiddishecup.com