Re: Fw: MItzvah music and dance

At 10:04 AM 7/18/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =
>"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =
>"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word">
>

>"One wonders if there are many young descendents of the immigrants who
>want to make careers of their cultural activities."
>
>I have a friend from Bukhara.  She wanted to incorporate some traditional
>Bukharin music and dance into her son's bar mitzvah celebration but her
>son absolutely wouldn't have it.  He was embarrassed in front of his
>friends.  So, they just had a disco style party.  Everyone wants to blend
>in to the larger society and not stand out in the crowd.
>
>Helen

Actually, both of my kids specifically asked for Jewish music.  This may
have something to do with the fact that both of their parents are musicians
and they've heard a great deal of it and like it and grew up performing in
shul.

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
100 Ferguson Hall
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 (o)