Re: Mitzvah music and dance

First, A hearty thanks to all of you who sent me suggestions regarding
sources to read and networking strategies...

Second, this question of folk culture has long been of great interest to
me.. A number of year s ago I conducted a folk history study of  the
Detroit (Michigan)  Jewish immigrant-left community from the 1930's. For
these Jews, group identity was rich and complex, a reflection of their
identification and involvement as Jews, left wingers and east european
immigrants. In my study, I looked at the question of how this
group  preserved and transmitted its sense of  group identity through the
cultural and political institutions and traditions they created,  as well
as their political and artistic activities.

While I was,  in part, interested in how the "tradiitonal" east european
jewish folk culture was preserved in this new environment, what I found to
be most crucial to this whole process of cultural preservation and
transmission was how the "new /eastern european-American folk culture" was
"lived" and "expressed"  every day, through people's activities, work,
relationships as well as through cultural entities such as choruses,
theatre troupes, radio program, reastaurants and other institutions.

Yes,  the "Detroit folk culture " became a very different culture from the
one these Jews had known  in Europe, though was an incredibly rich and
interesting one, because of how it integrated  the many  strands of their
"old world" culture with the"new American-immigrant-Jewish-left wing
culture that they were creating in Detroit.

I think that those of us who are a few generations removed from the lives
of the immigrant generation are rightly concerned about how we can
effectively preserve some sense of  substantive  Jewish identity, given the
absence of  geographically self -contained, relatively autonomous
communities which lack  the "purity"of  old wold traditions.  Yet, I also
beleive that we are in fact continuing a kind of folk process through which
we are creating  and living new forms of jewish folk culture, just as many
of four immigrant grandparents did more than half a century ago.  That we
continue to keep these important questions alive suggests that the culture
will evolve in interesting, dynamic ways.

Gwynne
   political and Jewish into their lives with the new   strands of "old"
with differnet pieces of  , while integrating political identity
  it was the ways in which the "new" culture was lived and expressed  that
became my core focus.  And it is this aspect of I  (from East European
lifeWhile there were many