Re: Tonic, 6/30

Jordan Hirsch wrote:
> I want to remind everyone that I will be at Tonic today for the Klezmer
> Brunch with the Kleztraphobix.

The yente and I went down to see Kleztraphobix and had a great time.
As I said to Mike Cohn (sp?) at the break "I wish I were single again
so you guys could come play at my wedding".

Horn bands aren't in general my favorites.  Jazz influenced klez isn't
in general my favorite.  These guys are both and was some of the hottest,
coolest music I've heard - yes, chills up my spine at points.

Mike and Jordan both said, when I spoke to them, that despite the jazz
influence and the sometimes eccentric arrangements ("derangements", he
said), they never lose the Jewish flavor.

And I guess that's what struck me.  You hear that they are grounded
in the Jewish celebration.  You hear that, instead of coming out of
a bluegrass, classical, or jazz basis, these guys sound like a bunch
of top notch Jewish wedding band pros who are getting together on the
side to do thier own thing, breaking out of having to be sure the
kallah's family is satisfied and get a bit off the usual track - including
off the usual "off the usual track" track.

Whatever they wanted to go, whatever they wanted to do, they had the chops.
People danced - not too usual at Tonic.  Absolutly worth the schlep to
the city.

r l reid        ro (at) rreid(dot)net