Re: gelbart/dreydl

Troodles,
Look at the English version.  Grossman wrote the lyrics--copied pretty
much from the Yiddish--and Goldfarb is credited with the music.  This is
the part I take issue with.  It is definitely ripped directly from
Gelbart's.  Not a note has changed.  I hope to get more definite proof.
 Then, I will write an article and send it to every Jewish newspaper I
can find for publication.

love,
Lorele

Trudi Goodman wrote:

> Lorele: every accredit for this song I've ever seen was Gelbart. It
> certainly was for the Yiddish text I saw as a kid.
>
> But, hey...I went to the A/R shule.
>
> Trudi the G
>
> >From: Lori Cahan-Simon >Reply-To: jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org >To:
> >World
> music from a Jewish slant >Subject: gelbart/dreydl >Date: Sat, 29 Jun
> 2002 06:50:45 -0400 > >Khaveyrim, > >You may remember my ongoing
> struggle to get to the bottom of the >dreydl/dreidel issue of who is
> the original composer, Gelbart or >Goldfarb (Gelbart having been my
> guess). Here is the latest >communication I have had about it. Can
> anyone corroborate or expand >on this information? > >a dank, >Lorele
> >the >Arbeter-Ring (Workmen's Circle) Yiddish schools were his
> children. >He >was the music teacher of the Arbeter-Ring mitlshul
> (supplementary >high-school) when I was a student there (1942-1946).
> We all "knew" >that he was the composer of "Ikh bin a kleyner dreydl."
> > >When I worked in the national Education Department at 175 E.
> >Broadway, >NYC , during the early 1950s, the primary secretary to the
> then Ed >Director, Nokhem Khanin (Chanin), Millie Melnick, once
> indicated >that >Gelbart had written the song that was now being
> claimed by someone >else, and that he, Gelbart, thought seriously of
> suing the >interloper, >but did not have the financial means to
> sustain what could have been >a >long, and costly trial. It is a "sod
> far gantz brod," that teachers >in >the AR Shuln were not people of
> means. And so he decided not to >resort >to the legal system, and let
> the matter rest in no-man's land. > > >-- >You can now hear Lori's new
> CD, Songs My Bubbe Should Have Taught >Me; Vol.1: Passover, at:
> http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lcahan Only $15 & >postage. Email me for more
> info. > > > > >---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->