Re: Beregovski/ Fefer

itzik gottesman wrote:

> In regards to the Beregovski and Fefer collection of Yiddish
> folksongs: i have the CD "Tradition: Jewish Songs from Russia" with
> Shostakovich's "From Jewish Folk Poetry - songs for soprano, contra
> alto, tenor and piano" 11 songs from this work. (Koch Discover
> International 920259).  I assume they are from Beregovski and Fefer's
> collection, but can someone tell me what songs they are based on? I
> don't recognize them. - Itzik

    I believe that Shostakovich took the Russian texts from Dobrushin and
Yuditski's 1947 _Evreiskie narodnye pesni_, which was based on their 1940
collection, _Yidishe folks-lider_. The Yiddish texts can be found at the
following website:

http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/v/volkslieder/shost79a.orig.html.

There are two relevant publications by the Bar-Ilan musicologist Joachim
Braun:

         "Shostakovich's Song Cycle ▒From Jewish Folk Poetry▓: Aspects of
Style and
          Meaning", in: _Russian and Soviet Music. Essays for Boris
Schwarz_ (= _Russian
          Music Studies_, No. 11). Ed. Malcolm H. Brown, Ann Arbor,
Michigan: UMI
          Research Press, 1984, pp. 259-286, 3 tables, 7 mus. ex.

        _Shostakovitch`s Jewish Songs ▒From Jewish Folk Poetry▓, Op.79_:
Introductory
          Essay with original Yiddish Folk Text Underlay. Tel Aviv: World
Council for
          Yiddish and Jewish Culture and Ministry of Culture, 1989. 162
pp., 1tbl., 4 mus.
          ex. ( in English, Russian, Hebrew and Yiddish).

                    Bob Rothstein