Re: Petersburski

"Robert A. Rothstein" wrote:

> > In 1939 as sergeant served in Polish Air Forces. In 1940 moved to USSR.
> > Continued hic career in Soviet Union and composed one of the finest war
> > songs "Goluboy platok" (The Blue Handkerchief) sung by Klavdya
> > Shulzhenko.
>
>             Actually "Sinii platochek" (The [Dark] Blue Kerchief).

Sheame on me. I've translated literally polish title "Blekitna
chusteczka" although just few hours ago I've listetning russian sampler
CD with war song and of course with Siniy platochek transfered from
vinyl with all clics and noises.
>another Peterburski hit, "To ostatnia niedziela"

"Ta ostatnia niedziela" is common called in Poland "Suicidal Tango" due
to the very sad text.
"Tango milonga" was used very often in polish movies about the Nazi
camps (brass orchestra played this tune when the prisoners were
executed)

Jerzy