Re: Petersburski

A few brief corrections and additions to Jerzy Matysiakiewicz's excellent
biographical note on Jerzy Petersburski:

Jerzy Matysiakiewicz wrote:

> Jerzy Petersburski (born as Jerzy Melodysta) in Warsaw. Absolved Warsaw
> Conservatory and composision, piano oand conducting in Wien. In 1921
> worked with Alelsander Vertynski.

           I.e., the Russian singer Aleksander Vertinskii (or Vertinsky).

> In 1926 founden, with Artur Gold,
> chamber orchestra , playing in warsaw cabarets (Quio pro Quo, Morskie
> Oko and Banda).

        I.e., Qui pro Quo; also Cyrulik Warszawski.

> Many record sessions with Eugeniusz Bodo, Chor Dana,
> Jerzy Czaplicki, Mieczyslaw Fogg, Ludwok Sempolinski. Composed many
> waltzes, tngos and foxtrots. Most famous was "Tango Milongo" known
> worldwide as "Oh!Donna Clara" (most known interpretions: Al Jolson,
> Henry Varny, Edith Piaf and many others).

            Peterburski's Polish hit "Tango milonga" was given German words by
Fritz Loehner-Beda and became an international hit as "Oh, Donna Clara."

> In 1939 as sergeant served in Polish Air Forces. In 1940 moved to USSR.
> Continued hic career in Soviet Union and composed one of the finest war
> songs "Goluboy platok" (The Blue Handkerchief) sung by Klavdya
> Shulzhenko.

            Actually "Sinii platochek" (The [Dark] Blue Kerchief).

            Those of you who saw Nikita Mikhalkov's 1995 film "Utomlennoe
solntsem" (literally "Tired by the Sun," but called "Burnt by the Sun" in
English)
may recall the tango played by a band at the beginning the film.  The Russian
title of the tango is "Utomlennoe solntse" (Weary Sun), but it is in fact
simply a
Russian reworking of another Peterburski hit, "To ostatnia niedziela" (This Is
the
Last Sunday).

                Bob Rothstein