Re: Gone but not forgotten

First of all, I recommend that you get the book Jews Who Rock and also Great
Jews in Music, although the latter is older, more general, and, IMHO, a bit
biased against rock.  Second, keep watching the Web for 100 Plausible Jewish
Rock Stars, and Internet game devised by myself and my brother Steven.  It's a
list of 100 names of rock stars, some Jewish, some not, from whom the reader is
to guess who's who.  We're in the planning stages for future games in this
series for sports stars, Nobel Prize winners, barbecue chefs (just kidding!),
etc.

I am very interested in the subject.  I've written a lengthy article about Wolf
Krakowsky and teach the first semester of the year-long history of rock
sequence in which I'm well aware of the Jewish contribution.  I also wrote a
performance piece about 10 years ago entitled Between a Rock of Ages and Hard
Rock Cafe, about the Jewish guitar hero Jimi Shmendrix.  Despite the obvious
mass appeal of the subject matter, only fragments have ever been performed and
never with high production values.  Go figure!

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music