Re: response to a gig cancellation?

In a message dated 5/21/2002 11:46:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
rlcm17 (at) hotmail(dot)com writes:

> I appreciate very much the responses to date--and, obviously, would welcome
> any additional thoughts; but my response to Bob would essentially be that,
> in the absence of a pertinent provision (which there isn't) in my letter of
>
> agreement, I really don't *have* recourse in law to the organization's
> deciding to cancel (or, in this case, the group for which they made the
> booking deciding to cancel) my lecture--as opposed to if I *gave* the
> lecture and they didn't pay me; that would, of course, be actionable.

We have all kinds of provisions in our contracts, but unless you can afford
to pay a lawyer, they're not worth much more than bluffing.  We paid $10,000
to a series of lawyers over several years to get back $10,000 owed to us....I
also remind you that most of us on Global Village Music do not get paid a
penny of royalties, but can't afford to sue....So stay sober on the legal
options, alas.
Lori

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->