Zmire?

I have run into the word "zmire/zmiro" in  recent liner notes and
books in the sense of the singular of shabes "zmiros/zmires" and am
perplexed by it, having never heard it in Yiddish.  I see that the
word exists in Alcalays hebrew dictionary as "song, hymn" but only in
the plural entry in the dictionary does it have the additional
meaning of "Sabbath hymns". Is it used in modern Hebrew in the
singular for " a sabbath hymn"? When I asked my Hasidic co-workers
about this usage they say there is no singular of "zmires" in the
sabbath context. Can someone enlighten me? - Itzik Gottesman