Re: Zmire?

'Zemirah' is OK in Hebrew, but 'zmire' as a Yiddish word is a
back-formation which has no real standing.  The Yiddish singular is indeed
rarely heard, but when necessary the word is 'zemer', which Weinreich
incorrectly defines as meaning only "tune", whereas it more strictly means
"song" (i.e. with lyrics). "Tune" is 'nign' or 'melodye'.  A secular song
is, of course, 'lid' -- a word that could never apply to a shabes hymn.