Re: Oy Gevalt! (Part Two)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eliott Kahn" <Elkahn (at) JTSA(dot)EDU>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: Oy Gevalt! (Part Two)

Francesco:

Thank you for a first-hand account of what is happening in your beautiful
country. As someone whose historical specialization is Germany between the
wars, I find your report extremely disturbing.

I personally believe that the internet is a very important tool in spreading
information; and as this is the only Jewish list I belong to, I believe that
such reports as yours definitely belong on this list.

Political discussions can be people screaming at each other--something I'm
sure Ari and we all wish to avoid on this list. But anything that threatens
our basic freedoms as human beings--in this case Jewish human beings--is
absolutely necessary for us all to hear about.
<snip>

I don't agree.  Not that I think the subject is unimportant, but I'd rather
"draw a line in the sand" than to rely on each person deciding the
importance of a non-music topic that he is concerned about.  That doesn't
keep people from informing themselves. One maillist isn't the whole of the
'Net.