Re: Henry's Yiddish Radio Project Draws Hate Mail

At 06:46 PM 4/23/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>on 4/23/02 6:12 PM, Ari Davidow at ari (at) ivritype(dot)com wrote:
>
>> A reminder that politics do not belong on this list. As I have said before,
>> there is no positive description for someone who would post political
>material
>> to a forum where only the equally graceless could respond.
>>
>> Enough, please.
>>
>> ari
>Ari, as someone who has not posted political posts on this subject, and I do
>not intend to start now, may I just suggest that while we do not want this
>list to devolve into political mudslinging, it is sometimes necessary to
>discuss music in terms of it's political context. Whatever side one takes in
>the Israeli- Arab conflict, art and music will be made about it, and some
>discussion of it will be required to understand the nature of the creation.
>In the case discussed above, while each one of us may harbor feelings of
>approval or disapproval for a particular policy of the Israeli (or for that
>matter the American) government, Jewish music publicly played within a non-
>Jewish society does seem to have evoked feelings which perhaps bear
>discussion.
>
>Whaddaya think?

I think that when we move to editorializing on the politics (e.g.,
anti-Zionism=anti-semitism), it is time to move the discussion off-list. I
expect long-time list participants to be especially vigilant in this regard.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/