Re: Henry's Yiddish Radio Project Draws Hate Mail

on 4/23/02 6:12 PM, Ari Davidow at ari (at) ivritype(dot)com wrote:

> A reminder that politics do not belong on this list. As I have said before,
> there is no positive description for someone who would post political material
> to a forum where only the equally graceless could respond.
>
> Enough, please.
>
> ari
Ari, as someone who has not posted political posts on this subject, and I do
not intend to start now, may I just suggest that while we do not want this
list to devolve into political mudslinging, it is sometimes necessary to
discuss music in terms of it's political context. Whatever side one takes in
the Israeli- Arab conflict, art and music will be made about it, and some
discussion of it will be required to understand the nature of the creation.
In the case discussed above, while each one of us may harbor feelings of
approval or disapproval for a particular policy of the Israeli (or for that
matter the American) government, Jewish music publicly played within a non-
Jewish society does seem to have evoked feelings which perhaps bear
discussion.

Whaddaya think?

Jordan Hirsch