Re: accents

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Robert Cohen wrote:

> Could you give some (i.e., specific) examples that
> are actually encountered in liturgy where changing
> the accent changes meaning and/or tense?

I quote from my last mail on this topic:

<<Changing the stress, can change the meaning of a word
in Hebrew. To give an example from the Shema prayer:

ve-no-sa-TI or ve-na-ta-TI means "I will give," while:
ve-no-SA-ti or ve-na-TA-ti means "and I have given."

ve-o-hav-TO or ve-a-hav-TA means "you must love,"
while:
ve-o-HAV-to or ve-a-HAV-ta means "and you loved.">>

Groeten,

  Irwin Oppenheim
  i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl
  www.xs4all.nl/~danio/irwin/music/  "Chazzanut Online"