Re: "redux"

Michael Spudic remonstrated with me that he should get at least a nickel
back since his Webster 3 (as Dwight MacDonald famously called the Third
Edition in his legendary NEW YORKER review) does not have an entry for
"redux."  Of course I had checked that before sharing the defs. that I *did*
find in other dictionaries (including the more recent Merriam Webster
College dictionary, 10th edition) and am, as I advised Michael, puzzled by
its absence.  I suspect that "redux" enjoyed a resugence as an English word
after the Third came out--in 1962, apparently--which means that we have the
post-60s phenomenon (really!) of

"redux" redux !

Fiendishly,

Robert Cohen