Re: levites and music

Just to add to this thread.....

I find this question very interesting.... My father's family are Levites....
His father had a wonderful bass voice and served as a lay cantor in his
congregation.  Before he retired, my father was a professional musician and
played and sang with the big bands that came through Toronto as well as his
own band.  One of his brothers also has a beautiful voice but only sings to
his wife. One of his sisters sang in some Yiddish theatre productions.  The
son of his non-singing brother is a Lubovitch cantor.  I sing in my
congregational choir group and sing cantorial solos for high holidays.  Our
daughter is studying opera.

My husband always scoffs when people comment that our daughter has inherited
THE FAMILY VOICE.  He comments "What, have they discovered a gene for
singing?" If someone does the research I can scoff back and tell him there
is....  Needless to say, his family is Yisrael.  They are all tone deaf.
Just kidding...no musicians, but appreciative listeners :}