Re: Sephardic Songbook

Thanks for the kind words about the Sephardic Songbook Allen.
Regarding the layout solution of half measures which continue on the next
line: The publisher wanted to give the text precedence when faced with the
problem of splitting up the music line or the text line. I disagreed at
first, but eventually saw the logic in this. If you are a singer, it is
more difficult to locate the beginning of the text lines when you have
several verses and the beginnings of the lines appear in the middle of the
music line somehwere. As an instrumental musician, I also want to see
measures kept intact, but as a singer, you want to be able to locate the
verse beginnings easily, especially when there are many strophes, which is
often the case in the ballads. The problems of orthography and layout
presentation were thought out quite thoroughly in this edition, and the work
with Peters Edition was the highest level I have yet experienced. That¹s why
the release took so long (3 years). The enormous amount of details which
need to be dealt with easily escape the reader's attention (and should!)
when the finished product is presented in a simple fashion.

You may also notice the solutions to unusual forms, such as the Passover
counting song, Quen Spiese y entendiense, whereby each verse increases in
length - no easy problem to solve when you want to be clear in presentation
and use as few explanatory notes as possible.  There are also forms which
have assymetrically constructed strophes, making an intelligible solution
quite difficult to come by (see for instance Bre Sarica) I hope that the
result pleases those who use the book and invite comments and suggestions.

Thanks again for your warm comments...Josh