Re: A Hanukkah-Klezmer Story

At 09:06 PM 12/29/2001 +0000, you wrote:

>I found the best children's Hanukkah picture/story book in Chapters
>yesterday!  Shira's Hanukkah Gift written by Joan Betty Stuchner with
>beautiful illustrations by Richard Row.  According to the title page, it was
>formerly known as "The Kugel Valley Klezmer Band".  It is published by
>Scholastic Canada Ltd.
>
>The setting is Canada and the story relates how a 10 year old girl fills in
>for the regular fiddle player in a Klezmer band at a Hanukkah party gig.
>The illustrations are so well done that I was sure that I could hear the
>klezmer music in my head as I read the story.
>
>This is a wonderful story for sharing the passion for klezmer music with
>your kids.  I can see how this story could be even be used in a kids'
>concert setting with narration and music - the way that Peter and the Wolf
>incorporates instruments and a story.  As Shira practises on her toy fiddle
>she would get better and better.....You just have to read the story.

I'm so glad to hear that the book is available in the states albeit under a
different name. I wrote about it on the klezmershack a couple of years ago, but
the six-year-old who loved the book never got around to writing about it!

http://www.klezmershack.com/articles/davidow/2000_weblogs.html#kugelvalley

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/